Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Monday 9 January 2012

Design Wall Monday Jan 9

Like a lot of others today, Bonnie Hunter's Orca Bay is occupying my design wall. While browsing though the other design wall posts, I noticed that there are quite a few other Orca's posted today. I love seeing how variation in fabric choices and layouts can change the feeling of the same quilt pattern. I think that is one of the many things I love about quilting,  how personal a quilt pattern can be made, if so chosen by the person making a particular pattern. I stuck to the colours given by Bonnie, but I changed mine by not doing the string piecing, and I'm happy with the way it is looking. All of the stars are done, and about half of the red/black geese units are finished. I'm hoping to get the rest of those done, and then start assembling the quilt today. I'm linking up to Judy's Patchwork Times, as usual, where there is lots to see, on top of all the Orca's

8 comments:

  1. Yes, yours looks great without hours and hours of string piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Orca Bay is looking great. The complexity of your fabric gives it a lot of depth with a lot less work! Such a clever solution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great quilt even without all the string pieced units! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That blue fabric gives movement to the quilt...it's perfect. Enjoy assembly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's one of the things I love about quilting too-how personal interpretation of colors and even pattern makes a quilt your own.
    congrats on yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am seeing these Orca Bay quilts all over and they are just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking good! I love the way that you found a solution to make the quilt design work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blue and red. Is that a solid fabric instead of the string blocks?

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.