Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Wednesday 28 March 2012

There's a time warp in my studio....



I think it goes all the way back to the 70's. I remember these quilts from then. I even had one, once, that I was going to do. It was cross stitched scotch thistles, in shades of blues. Needless to say it never got done. I think I donated it to someone or something.
 This quilt came to me by way of Charlene and her sister Evelyn, both long time customers of mine. The quilt belongs to a lady in her 80's, who now lives in a retirement home. I'm not sure how it happened, but the quilt showed up at the guild that Charlene and Evelyn go to, with the request for someone to volunteer to finish it for her. Evelyn loves to embroider, so she volunteered to do the embroidered part of the quilt, and Charlene took the rest. Those pink squares on there...... they are all appliqued in place, not pieced.
All those edges, turned over, and sewn down, one by one........... They finally got it all put together, and then it was handed on to me to quilt. The lady it belongs to wanted it to be quilted as close to the original design as possible. It really shows how quilting has evolved. All of those open spaces would be filled with background fill, now.
It's really quite pretty, and yet again, an example of how quilting brings it all to life. The feathers around the hearts follow the original quilting design, that was still visible. And then the straight lines accent the Irish Chain of the squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.