Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Monday 7 May 2012

Design Wall Monday May 7, 2012

 There's a couple of things up on the wall today. I have half of Avignon Picnic sewn together, and the second half is now taken down, and sitting by my machine waiting for me to have a few minutes to work on it. The hardest part of this quilt was arranging it so that no 2 colours were touching. There are a couple that I couldn't avoid, no matter how hard I tried, so it is going to stay the way it is. Over all, I'm happy with the balance of colour in it. I have yet to decide about borders for this. I have Judy Laquidara's book 60 Pieced Borders, so I'm sure I can find something in there.
And then there are the NYB's. This is the last week of the NYB sew along. Past this point, I'll be doing blocks from EQ7. This is the general idea of the layout I think I'll use. I'm trying for a balance of colour, but also for the seams to be staggered, so that there isn't a lot of matching up to do and not a lot of thicknesses at any one spot. As usual, I'm linking to Patchwork Times where Judy hosts the Design wall Mondays.

6 comments:

  1. Two wonderful projects. I love the New york Beauty. NYB blocks always make the most stunning quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is looking fabulous! I can't get over what a difference dividing the background into two colors makes. It adds a whole other dimention of interest. Can't wait o see all of them together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so loving these blocks ... the curved piecing terrifies me, but they loo so fantastic! You've done a terrific job with your Avignon Picnic, too ... it'll be fun to see what border you come up with!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Avingon Picnic! I truly believe that in a scrappy quilt, like fabrics were meant to touch. It's ok.

    The NYB's---OH MY, I love them!!! Each one. What a fabulous project you have created.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always seem to speed right past directions for NYB blocks, because I thought they'd be too hard to make - but now that I've seen these, I just might give them a try!
    LOVE the Avignon Picnic quilt!! I don't have a lot of fun, bright colours in my stash, but I think I'm going to have to change that... I guess I'll have to go shopping! (Good thing one of my LQS's is having a month-long sale!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two great projects! Love the NYB blocks!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.