Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Sunday 16 September 2012

Sunday Stash and Sttichery Report






I managed a lot of hand stitching this week during the 2 days that I spent in the recliner chair, nursing my sore back. But taking those 2 days to rest it, and get lots of heat on it worked. It is pretty much back to normal.
  This is the second block in the series called Promises and Borders. I am loving doing these. It has been a long time since I've done any serious large scale embroidery projects. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy it.

I discovered on Thurday, at the guild meeting that they have a different vendor there every month. Oh oh. I made the mistake of going back to the vendors table with Charlene, just to see what they had. I wasn't going to buy anything. (yeah, right......) I was looking at the stuff, quietly saying to Charlene, (quietly because the speaker was doing her presentation, and it was a good one too), I'm not buying anything...... I'm not buying anything......... and then I saw these.....
and I bought something. But they were so  pretty I simply couldn't say no to them. And so they came home with me to add to my ever growing stash.
Used this week:                                  .5 yards
Used this year:                                 84.9 yards
Added this week:                               5.5 yards
Added this year:                            152.8 yards more in than out.

However, all is not lost. I have a new toy tool to help me whittle down all these pieces of scraps and fabrics so that I can get to sewing faster.
I have resisted getting one of these for a long time, and now I wonder why on earth I waited so long. This thing can take scrap strips and turn them into squares so fast, not quite a blink of an eye but still faster than the rotary blade and ruler can do....... it's wonderful!  I have a couple of quilts on my want-to-do list that require 2 1/2 inch squares. I played with used this tool last night for 45 minutes or so, and came out with a huge pile of squares. It took longer to iron the strips so that they would lay flat than it took to put them through this thing and come out the other end with squares. I can get the squares cut, and kitted up to become either quilts to work on, or leader and ender projects. WOOHOO!! I'm linking up to Judy's Stash Report and Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching, then I'm going to have some lunch, and then I'm going to go play with fabric, and maybe with my new toy tool. I'll do a quitathon day 4 post later on today.


6 comments:

  1. Batiks really give quilts a added zing. They are so bright and colorful, I love them. So glad you are enjoying your new tool. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your back is feeling better. The stitching is just what the Dr. ordered...well, and the rest and heat probably helped also!
    Your new block is beautiful...can't wait to see what else you do with the colouring.
    I giggled about trying not to buy any fabric at the vendor... you are funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get your Go cutter? I'm a Canadian too and just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep telling myself that a Go! Cutter is a frivolous purchase ... you just convinced me otherwise! I'll be saving my pennies for one, now. Of course, it means I won't be able to buy fabric for a while until enough pennies are saved! LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your new GO makes using scraps easier. I really enjoy turning all the leftovers into bits and pieces for new quilts. Sitting with a bit of embroidery sounds like just the right solution to an achy back. Glad it is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad your back is better. Your new toy/tool looks great - really useful!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.