Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Friday 10 May 2013

Endless Chain is finished

It's finished!! After checking back on earlier posts about this quilt - one of the many bonuses about blogging is being able to track progress on different projects - I discovered that I started this quilt in March of 2010, so it's been over 3 years in the making. This is a pattern that I originally saw on the front cover of a book by Emilie Richards, called Endless Chain. A number of years ago, at least 4 or 5, I found a series of books by Emilie Richards called the Shenandoah Album series,  5 books that follow a group of friends in a small community. Of course, quilts figure strongly in the books. If you have never read any of her books, I highly recommend them, by the way. All the books in the series are named after quilts, and when I saw the picture of this quilt on the cover,

I fell immediately in love with it, and sent away for the companion book to the novel that had the instructions for this quilt.  In the original quilt on the cover of the book, the coloured wedges were done with a striped fabric. I decided to make my own stripes, and string pieced all the wedges. I think this is one of the most challenging quilts I have ever made. The block units are all hexagons, so there were lots of set in "Y" seams. But I am so glad I persevered with it and got it done. This one is going to live on our bed.
I decided to keep going with the stripes theme on the backing, and pulled all the striped fat quarters I had for the backing. And them I used a diagonally printed stripe for the binding. All in all, a wonderfully satisfying feeling to have it done. And to make it better, I think this is my first finish for this year. I'll be linking up to Finish it up Friday and Can I get a Whoop Whoop for the first, but hopefully not the last time this year.


































11 comments:

  1. That is one gorgeous quilt! It looks so vintage too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilt and what a lot of work! Love the upper and lower edges!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your finish. It is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a marvelous job you have done! It is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah for you! Congratulations on the finish! you have created a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on such a great finished quilt! This one really is a masterpiece...such a challenging pattern and so wonderfully made with your scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Cathy it is just gorgeous. Congrats on such a fabulous finish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful quilt, Cathy! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.