Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Friday 25 April 2014

Friday finish..

Well, actually, it was a last weekend finish, that I said I was going to post a picture of on Monday. But, as usual, the week got away from me, and here it is Friday, already. Last weekend, I finished the second UFO in a month, and got it to the flimsy stage. It's a McKenna Ryan design called In Full Bloom.
 There are a lot of little teeny tiny pieces cut and fused on this thing. And now that it is to this stage, it obviously has to be quilted.
 All of the flower petals in this picture to the left are all individually cut and fused.... yes, I know, I'm insane. And now, they all have to be quilted down. This one has me scared, because I'm not too sure just how well my machine will handle the layers of fusible. I used Steam-a-seam lite, so it isn't really stiff and thick, but there are some areas with four or five layers. I have done some wall hangings in the past that have had fusible on them, and my machine has hated them. But I've done a few of my own using the same fusible product as in this one without too much trouble.
I think this block with the hanging planter and the humming birds is my favourite of the whole quilt. I have made one decision about the quilting for this quilt..... it will have a print fabric on the back to hide any possible tension issues developed from the layers of fusible. Oh, and I've made another decision.... I'll use invisible thread in the top so I don't have a million thread colour changes, and very fine Bottom Line thread in the bobbin, probably a taupe or a grey. Past that point, I'm doing an awful lot of pondering and thinking about how to tackle this thing. It's a couple of months away from being tackled. Hopefully, I'll come up with a solution by then. If not, I'll dive into it, and hope for the best. I'm going to link this post up to Finish It Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.

2 comments:

  1. That's just beautiful! I made her "Petals of the Heart" years ago and loved every minute. I did use invisible thread on the top and also used a highly mottled batik for the back. I in-the-ditched around each block and then just took it one block at a time. Have no fear and plunge right in. It's one of my favorite quilts I ever made. I'm sure yours will be one of your favorites too:)
    Sorry to have babbled on...

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.