Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Friday 9 May 2014

I floated all the way home last night....

 We had our last regular guild meeting of the year last night, and that was the meeting for handing in our "A Road Runs Through It...." challenge pieces. This was mine. A lovely trailer, in a lovely campsite, with the road running by it and then out the other side. The guidelines of the project stated that the piece had to be 60 inches around the perimeter, and have a road entering on one side of the piece and exiting on the other. The entrance and exit measurements of the roads had to be 2 inches wide. All of the pieces were lined up with the roads meeting. I wish I'd remembered to get a picture of the whole thing.
This piece of paper to the left is the reason that I floated all the way home from the meeting. I won an award for it, for the  "best quilting as an enhancement of the overall piece"!!!! I've never won an award for anything before! It was so thrilling, and I'm still grinning about it! This was a McKenna Ryan design that I adapted for this purpose. The original had a tent where the trailer now stands, and a bear climbing the tree. The design is found in her Out and About series. I found the trailer in the last Quiltmaker 100 blocks edition, designed by Kristy Wolf. I shrank her trailer a bit to get it to fit on this campsite, and added the road. To add to the excitement of the evening, my husband Scott and our son Noel had gone to a meeting at the Art Emporium in Port Stanley. Noel has pieces hanging there already, and has had people express an interest in his work. And Scott submitted some of his work, and they liked it, so he will be exhibiting art work there, as well.
And now, I suppose I should come back down to earth, just a bit. I've put off doing the button holes in a pajama shirt I'm doing for Avery as long as I'm able to. Of all the parts of sewing, button holes have got to be the bane of my sewing life. I have yet to try them on my Janome, so maybe it will be a better experience than on other machines I've had. We're heading out for a camping weekend tomorrow, and then leaving again to go see them on Wednesday, so I'm kinda running out of time. gotta go......
Edit: I need no longer put off doing button holes. This Janome of mine whipped out those 4 button holes so easily in flat out time. Whew..... what a relief!

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations Cathy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to all of you! Can't wait to see the jammies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! It's an awesome quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! It's an awesome quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! It is a lovely piece! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. COngratulations on your finished entry and on winning an award! Love the feeling of this quilt - very relaxing and outdoorsy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great quilt. Sew cute! Good job. Glad they recognized how great it is. Congrats and have fun camping.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.