Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Sunday 6 May 2018

Slow Sunday Stitching

I’m a little slow getting a start on my slow stitching today. It’s been an exciting and also a disappointing weekend. We were booked into the Norfolk County Quilter’s Guild quilt show for the weekend as a vendor and were having a wonderful time on Friday, meeting and talking to lots and lots of wonderful quilters including at least one fellow Slow Sunday Stitcher. However our wonderful time on Friday together came to an abrupt halt due to some nasty weather that caused power outages to the area. Rather than staying until 5 pm we were all ordered out of the venue by the county authorities at 3:30 in the afternoon. The drive home that afternoon was quite the challenge. Instead of white outs due to blowing snow we had brown outs due to blowing top soil off the farmers’ fields.
When we arrived back at the venue on Saturday morning it was to find that the power was still out and that the show was cancelled for Saturday and would be held Sunday instead. Unfortunately, we weren’t able to stay for Sunday so we had to pack up and head for home.  Because of that we missed meeting up with even more of our fellow Slow Sunday Stitchers which is where the disappointing comes in. (sigh)
I have finally finished Leo’s Mane. He is quilted and bound and was able to go to the quilt show with us. I don’t have any pictures though due to the weather not allowing for outside pictures and he’s too big now for indoor photo shoots. While I ponder my next big project I’m working on a couple of smaller ones. The sample for the class I’m planning to teach is finished.


This first one was to figure out the best and most efficient way to break it into units for assembly purposes. Now I’ve started another so I can take pictures as I go for the written instructions.
 I’ve also pulled out my half hexagon sampler project that I started quite a while ago. I’m not sure yet exactly where this is going.  The current thought is to do a row of each type of pieced hexagon with the rows separated by a yet undecided something. The braid will be the outer borders. I think I have enough of the half hexagons units so now I’ve moved on to a combination of half hexagons and triangles.


So far this is all coming from my scrap 2 1/2 inch strips. It could end up being rather wild with all kinds of different types and styles of fabrics in it going way back to 10 or 15 years ago. I can certainly tell that my fabric colours and style tastes have changed over the years. But it is all going to be in here.
So,  now that I have this late in the day post written, I’m going to link up with our fellow Slow Sunday stitchers and then work on some more of these pieced hexagons. I’m going to have to find something to watch on Netflix on my computer while I do this. It’s hockey play off season on the main TV in our house. Since I am not at all a hockey fan, it will have to be the computer with my ears buds to drown out the hockey.

4 comments:

  1. That's a tough break for the quilt show, and for you. I hope that you have others lined up!
    LOVE your samples! I made a half-hexagon braid quilt a few years ago, and have another one cut out of B/W and B/W/Red fabrics - but no time lately to start it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great projekt.
    martina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My. That was a disappointing weekend especially when you were planning to vend and meet other Sunday Slow Stitchers. The authorities played it safe. At least you were able to link up and work on your EPP project. Sometimes I go away from our main TV also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sew sad you didn't get to meet up with everyone. Always a highlight. Hope your next vending goes much better.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.